This is the port-a-cath. The smaller silver one is what was placed inside Ian.
One of the doctors came by. They need more marrow from him. I had to sign, yet another, consent form for them to perform a second bone marrow aspiration for DNA testing.
Ian will also receive a spinal tap in which they will check his spinal fluid and perform the first chemo treatment to his spinal fluid. I can't believe this is happening.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_marrow_aspiration
http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/bone-marrow-aspiration-and-biopsy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinal_tap
It's 4:20. The Pediatric Hematologist/Oncologist just came in with a group of nurses and social worker to discuss the findings throughout the day. The good news is that they could not find any obvious leukemia cells in his spinal fluid. The better news is that we will probably be out of here on Sunday or Monday. His chemo treatments will start this evening. Sounds like the next 28 days will involve a lot of drugs and tests.
One of the things chemo does is kill off a lot of good blood cells which will reduce his immune system. I hope you all can understand that visitors should be kept to a minimum. Absolutely no sick kids or adults can even come to this floor in the hospital. We would like to thank you for your willingness to visit but also thank you for your understanding that we want to keep Ian as far away from outside sicknesses as possible.
From the tests performed on his bone marrow, the oncologist feels there is at least two pounds of leukemia cells in his body. WHOA! Apparently, this is average for a patient like Ian. Within the first couple of weeks most of that should be killed off. He will have a lot of side affects but are necessary for his getting better. After we are allowed to take him home we will have to return to the hospital 3 times a week (minimum) to have more drug treatments and bone marrow samples taken. Good thing I work close by so I can come here for those short appointments. It also helps that I have the coolest boss in the world who will work with me on this.
I'm adding a poll with some common facts we're learning about leukemia. Check back often and take it. You might learn something.
The drugs Ian is on is making him super moody. "Mom tell the doctors to go away!"
14 comments:
Mike,
You are an amazing parent. Thanks for posting your blog. My prayers are with you and your family.
Jon C
Elly is looking forward to seeing ian and see if they can beat those star wars lego guys!
I can't imagine what you're going through. You are doing a great job of taking care of your little boy. Your support will mean more to him than you realize.
I've shared your story with a few people in some prayer circles. We will all continue to pray for you and your family as you make it through this.
ChelseaE
Mike & Corie,
Our hearts go out to you! You're doing a terrific job and we know that the Lord will sustain you! If there is anything at all that we can do please let us know!
Mike,
It's Wendy Malan (Tovey). I just want to tell you we're pulling for you, too. Makes my daughter's club foot ordeal and my son's minor surgery at 10 weeks old look like small potatoes. And those were enough to keep me up at night with worry, and reduce me to tears countless times. . . yet I know I can't fully appreciate what you're going through.
That's one seriously cute kid, by the way!! Good grief! Also, my 6 and 4 year old boys are Lego Star Wars addicts, too. What a great game!
Lots of love from Heber, Utah,
WendyPaulCorbinCameronKateCraig
we are friends of marcia and brooke here in california, they supported me when my husband died not long ago. you just say the word and we will do whatever we can do for you and your family. we are praying for and thinking of you. many kisses to you, anna cris sebastian massimo & domenico
Mike and Corie,
I am so very sorry to hear about little Ian. There is no pain that is so unbelievable unbearable like watching your children suffer no matter what pain they may experience. The heaviness that wraps around your heart and surrounds your world will pass. I do know that kind words and thoughtful prayers are a support, but please know that the heaviness and pain will ease in time, give it the time you need, hold tight to each other and your children. The Lord will bless you all though this experience. The good days will be encouraging and the bad days overwhelming. Let your family and friends help you bare your burdens, the Lord will bless you with peace and comfort SOON.
Chris Carter (Jenni Macarthur’s mom)
Mike & Corie,
it warmed our hearts to see the picture of ian with the thomas train from the care package! he looks good, and we're so happy that he has such a positive prognosis! we just can't stop thinking about you guys and what you must be going through right now...you're in our thoughts and prayers. tonight aidan prayed to "bless ian to get better at the hospital where he's waiting for his blessings."
we're here if you need us. All our love and best wishes, Bob, Olivia, Aidan, Mia and Jack Wallace
Hi-this is Pat and Mary Easter. We are friends with Don and Jen MacArthur. We just wanted to let you know that your family is in our prayers and we wish you the best through these hard times.
Hello Crabtree family.
It sounds like you have prayers coming from all around the country. Here in Utah we are praying for you too. We were so sorry to hear about Ians illness. I know it is hard to have a child sick...it is a powerless feeling. Our experience really taught us to rely on the Atonement in a way we never had before. Some days it seemed too much to bear. Know that the Savior already suffered for the heartache you have and will go through in the days and months ahead.
Please let us help in any way we can....I know there are many programs out there for Chemo drugs etc.
Thanks for putting this blog together Mike. Your skills amaze me.
Love to you all! Mike, Corie, Lauren, Emma, and tuff boy Ian!
Dave and Holly Platt fam.
Hi Everyone,
I still need Mike to show me how to post to the blog, so hopefully, this will do for now.
This whole experience has been surreal. I still have a hard time saying "Ian has Leukemia." These are things that don't happen to you, it's always the other guy you know?
But what isn't surreal is the outpouring of love and support we have received from all of you. I have been amazed and humbled at all that you have done for us. Your calls, visits, and messages left here, as well as the many acts of service and prayers done on our behalf have strengthened Mike and I more than you'll ever know. This process of curing Ian would be so much more difficult without all of you. I can never tell you how grateful we are. WE have the best family and friends that anyone could ask for.
Mike and Corie,
Are family is all praying for you. You are in our thoughts. My girls want to send love to Lauryn and Emma! Thanks for this blog. Your famiily is amazing! we love you!
Krista
Wow! This makes all those other wordly worries seem to disappear and puts things into perspective. I got chills just reading the things you've shared. I am so impressed with you guys and how you are handling this experience. What an awesome support system you have. It says a lot about you. You are great people. We are thinking about you and Ian and hope and pray for the best. The glass is half full - I love that comment in Mike's blog!
Love ya!
Frankie
Brooke sent us your blog. This is Wendy, Nate's little sister. I just wanted to write and tell you that you are in our prayers. Tell Ian that I am so impressed with what a trooper he is. Your sweet little boy and family are in our thoughts and prayers, like so many others. Wendy M
Post a Comment