cutest blog on the block

Friday, July 11, 2008

Entry 38

We got the results from Ian's MRI. The blood clot is gone!!! They want to keep him on the blood thinners though for at least 3 more months to make sure that all the asparaginase is out of his system (that's what caused his blood to clot in the first place). I was hoping we could stop giving him the shots, but if it is less chance of him having another stroke, we'll keep it up. I am glad that it is working though.

His ANC (immunity) counts have dropped a lot since his last appointment though so we are going to try to be careful with his exposure until next Thursday in case they continue to drop. If they are lower at his next appointment, they are going to lower his chemo dose.

All in all, things are great! You would never know to look at Ian right now that he has leukemia. He has a ton of energy, he has hair (it's fuzzy, but it's there), his color is good, and he has lost almost all of the weight from the steroid.

I forgot to say this in my last post but I thought it was so sweet. Although Ian's diagnosis has been difficult at times, it has touched us and changed us in so many ways. When my girls were visiting with their friends in Utah, they decided to have a lemonade stand (technically it was fruit punch) and they gave the money they made to Ian for his medicine or whatever he needed. It has really made them think outside of themselves and I am so grateful that they are learning that quality. (By the way they made about $10- that will buy him a tube of numbing cream that he needs for his shots. Good job girls!)

Many of you have asked what you can do to help. Here are some simple ideas.

  • Save the toys you receive in happy meals and donate them (unpoened) to a children's hospital. They are always needing toys for their prize boxes and happy meal toys or little toys from the dollar store are a great way to help with that. For those of you who have the privilege to live near us (ha ha) you can give them to me and I'll save you the trip.
  • Save any gently used books or toys, preferably without little pieces, to hospitals for them to use in their waiting areas or toy rooms.
  • Save your magazines. The waiting rooms are stocked when you have an appt, but for the kids and parents who have to be admitted, there is nothing on the floor for them to do other than watch tv.
  • Little hygiene kits with a toothbrush, mini toothpaste, comb, soap, and mini shampoo are great for parents and kids who find themselves unexpectedly having to spend the night. (I could have totally used this when Ian was rushed to the ER and then tranferred to the PICU- I know I had major death breath that next morning until Mike arrived with my things and the last thing I wanted to do was talk to all the doctors and nurses that kept coming in).
  • Put your spare change into the Ronald McDonald collection boxes. I met several parents who came to the hospital from really far away-many times, out of state, and they were living at theses houses while their kids were in the hospital in lieu of staying in a hotel.

Thanks to all of you for all your prayers and support!

2 comments:

Shannon Sinclair said...

Hi Corie,

I wanted to thank you for the awesome card-featuring the Booger Care Kid himself! I cried when I opened it and I truly appreciate it! Great news on the MRI! Way to go Ian!

Yes, major things like an illness can make one change how they see life and see what is truly important!

I am very inspired to make a donation to my local hospital and thanks for the suggestions. I am welling up with tears again! Thanks so much!

Olivia W. said...

hey corie, glad to hear that you guys made the decision to go to utah and had a great time. good news on the mri, too! hope to see you around, maybe we can get together sometime soon.