cutest blog on the block

Friday, August 29, 2008

New meds, new worries

I just did something I wish I wouldn't have done; researched all the side effects from the chemo that Ian just started on Tuesday. Normally, I wouldn't freak out so much. However, due to our track record where we seem to be the small minority that has the undesirable rare side effects to medications, I am feeling very unsettled at the moment.


The new chemo that got added into his regimen is called Doxorubicin. It is nicknamed the "Red Devil" because of everything associated with it. One of the many side effects is that it can effect the heart and damage the muscles. He has to have recurring EKG's while on it and then an EKG every 2 years for the rest of his life.


Ian has had some very strange peeling of his hands and feet. He looks like a snake about to shed it's skin except there are also some deep cracks and stuff as well. This medication makes any healing that the body needs to do significantly slower so I am trying to keep it bandaged as well as I can so he doesn't get infected hands or feet.


Many of you have asked me what you can specifically pray for. These next few weeks, pray that Ian's heart will not be damaged from this chemo and that his hands and feet can heal.


I am so grateful to all of you for your thoughts and prayers. I know I rely so much on your strength. I know I'm not alone!

1 comment:

Being Honest said...

I'm praying for Ian's heart. And his hands and feet. And I am praying for your family. Please know that I am here for you all if you need me. If you need an extra pair of hands, I will fly out there.
You all are constantly in my thoughts and prayers and in my heart.