cutest blog on the block

Monday, September 22, 2008

Benefit Concert on Friday

I know that I am several days past due writing up on this, and I am sorry, but for all of you who have been in major suspense, your wait is over.



The benefit concert on Friday was a huge success. Many of you have asked me how it came to be, so I will backtrack a little. Phaedra, who is my very talented harp teacher was the link between us. A former harp student of hers, comes from an extremely musical family and when they heard about Ian, they wanted to help. Lynne and her son planned and organized the whole event. When we arrived, they gave us some VIP passes. I have to say, I have never been a VIP to anything before so I was feeling pretty cool. We were able to go to a room in the back and have all the sandwiches, chips, cookies, and drinks we wanted. I know my kids had their fair share. Ian was wearing a mask since we were indoors with a big group of people and it was completely orange from doritos by the end of the night.



The concert had 6 bands playing. All of them were from the Christian rock genre and they each played for 30 minutes each. The were anywhere from a single guy with a guitar/keyboard to a group of singers with a back up band. It was uplifting and entertaining to watch. Unfortunately, I had to leave early with Ian to get him home and give him his meds so I didn't get to see the last acts, but the whole thing was videotaped and from what I understand, it will be posted to myspace so you can see it for yourself. I will get the link on here ASAP. I will also see if any of my pictures turned out and try to post them on here tomorrow so check for them (I am far to tired tonight to do it).



Ian was the star of the show. They had photographers and videographers that were following him around just like the papparazzi. I don't think he understood why there was so much attention being given in his direction. There was a big screen behind the bands that would rotate different pictures of Ian. He kept noticing pictures of himself on the wall and thought it was really cool.



I was so touched at all the effort and time that went into planning this concert for us. I was also touched at all the friends and even complete strangers that came to this concert to show their love and support for Ian and our family. So many of the people that were there came up to us and let us know that they are praying for us and thinking of us. I am amazed at the outpouring of love and support that is given to a little 3 year old boy whom they have never met. There are so many wonderful people out there. I left the evening completely humbled and uplifted. I am truly grateful that this whole experience with Ian is teaching me how to serve others better and things that I can do in the future for those who may be dealing with some hardships.



I also know that there was some concerns on the part of those of you who could not make it that I may not feel supported if you weren't there. This is absolutely not the case. I know there are so many things you have done already and are doing behind the scences, so please do not feel bad in any way for not coming. I know we are loved, I know you are praying for us, and I know you would do anything asked of you. That means more than you will ever know.



A special thanks again to the Valle family for making this all possible. You are wonderful!

1 comment:

Karina said...

I'm so glad that it went well. I can't wait to see the pictures. I had a fun weekend with you at the garage sale. It's nice to have all of the "stuff" out of my house. I love feeling more organized. Have a great week and let me know if you need anything.