Ian started on steroids again (his last dose hopefully) and woke up totally EMO today. It is crazy that these tiny little pills can completely turn your little boy into someone almost unrecognizable. They not only change him physically (see pictures from a few older posts back to see what I mean), but they make his emotions go crazy. One second he is laughing, the next he is crying, the next he acts depressed. Oh well, he only has to stay on them a week this round so that is nothing compared to what we've done in the past.
I am not exactly sure what the next appointment will bring because the nurse and doctor never came and spoke with us yesterday but I am pretty sure that next time if his counts are high, he gets hospitalized so they can do the last of the hard stuff before we get to enter into maintenance.
FINALLY, our 3 year old is potty trained. He was so close before being diagnosed with Leukemia and then once in the hospital and after, he completely regressed. It was fustrating knowing he could do it, he just plain refused. I tried not to push him too hard because I figured it was the only thing he could control in his life. He had to succumb to taking the most horrible tasting medicines everyday, to getting shots twice a day, going to the doctor to have blood drawn every week while hooked up to IV's getting all kinds of medicines, etc. He was just finally ready though and pretty much did it on his own. Yeah Ian!
I was in a totally dorky mood today and I typed up this poem. I am no Robert Frost, so feel free to stop reading now. I'm probably going to be really embarrassed tommorow when I reread it and see how lame it is.
ODE TO STEROIDS
Ian is starving from the steroids he on
So he comes in and wakes me at the crack of dawn.
I am utterly slow getting out of bed,
so he pulls off my covers while tapping my head.
Half asleep I begin to pour him a drink
Then I try to make food as quick as a wink.
Waffles, corn dogs, soup, chips, meat,
Are a few of the things that he wants to eat.
Out of the blue he laughs for no reason,
then he begins to cry for a season.
He ravagely eats all the food that's in sight,
and then he gratefully gives me a kiss goodnight.
The bags under my eyes, my tiredness they tell,
but I'm grateful he's here so it's worth getting him well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Love the poem Corie :) I'm glad he's only got one hard phase left, so hopefully we can get this sweet little boy back to his old self!
I thought the poem was sweet, too. You are strong and wonderful.
Post a Comment