
I have a few days to catch up on! Let me start with yesterday. Ian and I went to the Deanna Rose Farmstead. It's this really cute place that has lots of farm animals and activities to do. We saw a bald eagle, bobcats, bunnies, horses, buffalo, etc. There is a section there where you can feed baby goats with bottles and it is crazy! As soon as they see you with a bottle, they come running. The bigger ones always butt in and push the smaller ones out of the way. Ian was getting mad a them because they kept jumping up on me and he was saying, "guys, don't jump on my mom!" He did really well with walking around and playing.
Today was the last Vincristine chemo treatment for another month or so. Ian is getting pretty used to the routine. He was alot less sulky on the drive up. He knows exactly which nurses weigh and take his blood pressure so he is friendly with them. When he is done, he goes right to the prize box and helps himself. Unfortunately he also knows the nurse that has to poke him so he pretty much starts crying the second he sees her. It was kind of funny because when he was all done, the nurse had to take the needle and tube out of his chest so we could go. Ian was more than willing to hold up his shirt at that time so we could leave. Because of the blood thinner he is on, she had to hold pressure on his chest for a minute tohelp it stop bleeding. Ian knew that this was taking longer than normal and was put out about it. He looks right at her and with his meanest, most annoyed voice, said, "DOCTOOOOR!" I had to laugh. His tone was like, "what are you doing? This is not the drill, leave me alone." Mike got a kick out of it too. I don't know, maybe you had to be there, it's hard to describe.
Ian crashed on the way home. I have to admit, I was worried I was going to fall asleep on the drive as well. I was singing to the radio, chewing gum, anything to keep alert. These appointments are so early because he can't eat or drink so they try to do them first thing.
We have a darling friend who organized a summer olympics games for some of the kids in the neighborhood and from church. It was so cute and fun. I didn't know if Ian would feel well enough to go, but the girls got Ian excited about it and he wanted to see his friends. There was a big inflatable water slide that Ian was having fun on. It was kind of sad though because he only could climb up a few times and then his feet started to hurt (side effect from the vincristine) and he didn't have the strength to do it anymore (side effect from the steroid-this steroid isn't the one body builders use, it actually shrinks muscles). He became really frustrated and started crying. Those moments are hard on me. It's hard to explain to him that it is only temporary and he will get his strength back. He knows it is something he should be able to do with no problem and when he can't, he gets upset. We'll keep working on it. He is now off the steroid and he is now starting an oral chemo so those side effects should start going away soon.
Today was the last Vincristine chemo treatment for another month or so. Ian is getting pretty used to the routine. He was alot less sulky on the drive up. He knows exactly which nurses weigh and take his blood pressure so he is friendly with them. When he is done, he goes right to the prize box and helps himself. Unfortunately he also knows the nurse that has to poke him so he pretty much starts crying the second he sees her. It was kind of funny because when he was all done, the nurse had to take the needle and tube out of his chest so we could go. Ian was more than willing to hold up his shirt at that time so we could leave. Because of the blood thinner he is on, she had to hold pressure on his chest for a minute tohelp it stop bleeding. Ian knew that this was taking longer than normal and was put out about it. He looks right at her and with his meanest, most annoyed voice, said, "DOCTOOOOR!" I had to laugh. His tone was like, "what are you doing? This is not the drill, leave me alone." Mike got a kick out of it too. I don't know, maybe you had to be there, it's hard to describe.
Ian crashed on the way home. I have to admit, I was worried I was going to fall asleep on the drive as well. I was singing to the radio, chewing gum, anything to keep alert. These appointments are so early because he can't eat or drink so they try to do them first thing.
We have a darling friend who organized a summer olympics games for some of the kids in the neighborhood and from church. It was so cute and fun. I didn't know if Ian would feel well enough to go, but the girls got Ian excited about it and he wanted to see his friends. There was a big inflatable water slide that Ian was having fun on. It was kind of sad though because he only could climb up a few times and then his feet started to hurt (side effect from the vincristine) and he didn't have the strength to do it anymore (side effect from the steroid-this steroid isn't the one body builders use, it actually shrinks muscles). He became really frustrated and started crying. Those moments are hard on me. It's hard to explain to him that it is only temporary and he will get his strength back. He knows it is something he should be able to do with no problem and when he can't, he gets upset. We'll keep working on it. He is now off the steroid and he is now starting an oral chemo so those side effects should start going away soon.

2 comments:
Corie,
It sounds like you are doing great. You look beautiful in your recital picture. That is great your girls are following in your footsteps (and Mike) with music.
Ian is such a trooper! It helps to have parents like you and Mike. Wow!
I have to say I was surprised to see the pictures of Ian. I wouldn't have known it was him. He has changed and grownup so much in the past months. He is one handsome devil!
Much love,
Holly Platt
Corie,
I was so taken by the news of Ian. This blog you have started is amazing with all the information, medical terms, and his progress. My heart and prayers go out to your family. It sounds like you have a wonderful support system and that makes all the difference. It kind of brought back memories of when David was going thru all of those procedures and how surreal that felt. Your little Ian is a trooper.
With heartfelt love and prayers,
Laurie Seidel Fisher
Post a Comment