cutest blog on the block

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Day 10

Ian had a bright and early chemo treatment this morning. We had to be at the hospital by 6:45 am. The procedure they were doing today was chemo through the port in his chest, chemo into his spine (LP), and then another bone marrow test. Since he started the steroid he has had a major increase in appetite, so they try to get the A.L.L. kids in as early as they can since they have to be fasting until the procedure is done. Ian was so terrified. He pretty much knows that if he is in the car, he is on his way to the hospital so he was trembling by the time we got into the parking garage. To make a long story short, it was NOT fun. It was extremely exhausting for all of us both physically and mentally.

But.. here's the good news. We got the results back from Ian's tests. He is considered a "rapid early responder" and has responded amazingly fast to the treatment. When we left the hospital the first time, the leukemia counts (blast cells) inside his bone marrow were at 73%. They were hoping the results would come in today at 5%. Well, he was even lower than that at 1%. So he is considered to be in remission. He still has to get chemo, and we still have a journey ahead, but we don't have to go so early next week and he'll only have to get the chemo injection through his port (which is the easiest part of everything) and not the other stuff. It is such wonderful news!!! I am so thankful to all of your thoughts and prayers for I truly do not know if things would be going so quickly without them.

Now if those tornado sirens would stop going off so we could go to bed... it's been a long day.

3 comments:

Being Honest said...

I'm sorry you guys had such a rough day...Although I'm glad the results came back at 1%! That is great news!
Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Please know that the Bryant's are here for you if you need us.
Love you guys!

Jenni said...

Wow, that is absolutely wonderful news! I am so happy he's responding so well to treatments. You are in our prayers continually.

Much Love,
The Mac's

Shawn Cartwright said...

Ian & Family,

I just read about your situation from the Neo-Buggy board. Although we've never met, I've had several loved ones battle through cancer. Just wanted to drop you a line and let you know that my thoughts are with you folks! Hang in there, Ian. Get well soon...

Best Regards,

Shawn C.